Compiling On Fedora Core 4

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 07:57:20 MST 2006

On 2/1/06, Peter Smith <peter.hermione at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I was wondering if any one could help me or
> give me advice on how to complie MOL on fedora core 4.
>  I keep getting errors when i try to compile.

I don't have Fedora (and your question isn't specific enough to give
us anything to go on) but I can give you some general hints.

1) Are you running a Macintosh or another PowerPC system? If not, MOL
won't work. (At least not without a lot of effort and/or an emulation
environment like qemu.)

2) Make sure you have all the MOL packages you need (from your distro
or from a secondary place packaged for your distro) or the source
tarball. There are README files packaged with them. You may need to
read multiple README files (which get installed different places
depending on your distro).

3) Part of MOL compiles with normal system dependencies, but the MOL
kernel modules MUST be compiled specifically for the kernel you are
running. To do that you need the kernel source package OR the kernel
header package for the kernel you are using. Make sure you are in the
correct directory before attempting to compile.

I recommend getting the MOL packaged for your distribution first, and
see how it installs and/or compiles. THEN try installing from whatever
source.

Then be sure to report back here -- what did you do, and MOST
importantly, be sure to ask something VERY specific so we have a way
to respond. Use this template:

"I tried compiling version xyz (downloaded from abc location) using
the zyx command and here are the error messages I got."