mol-0.9.71_pre8 HOWTO?

Steven Mezzadri smezzadr at livonia.k12.mi.us
Fri Jul 21 05:30:40 MDT 2006

Mat,

I have only been able to get Mac OS 9 to work up through YellowDog 4.0, but
not any releases since then.  With changes in the glibc libraries, gcc
compiler, and kernel, I get the same errors you're speaking of and cannot
compile the modules.  I have tried compiling the modules on older versions
of the compiler, with the newer kernels, but then when using insmod it
complains that the compiler used for the modules is older than the compiler
used for the kernel and it fails.

I have decided to just stick with Yellowdog 4.0 and I update or compile
newer software (like firefox, rdesktop, mozilla) from rpm or source in order
to have the latest and greatest versions.  YDL 4 is new enough that it has
decent hardware support.

I also have found on older hardware like yours (500mhz) that GUIs (like
gnome, kde) respond very slowly.  Another benefit of an older version of
Linux like YDL 4 is that the machine will appear much faster.  For example,
I like KDE 3.1-3.3, as they are lightning fast compared to 3.4+ when running
on the older 350 mhz machines we have here with 128 mb ram.

Henry Leinhos, who also participates in this discussion group, was a big fan
of Fedora and he was working on a MOL for Fedora 5, but I haven't heard back
if he has had any success.

I wish you luck, and if you would like any help getting it to work on
YellowDog 4, I'd be happy to assist you.

~Steve~