Flashed wireless pci card on Yellowdog 4.1

Mattias Nissler mattias.nissler at gmx.de
Fri Jun 16 16:36:08 MDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 12:57 -0700, Joshua Petersen wrote:
> I have a Powermac G4 AGP Graphics running YellowDog 4.1 and am trying
> to set-up a wireless connection via a flashed motorola wireless pci
> adapter.  In OSX, system profiler recognizes it as an AirPort Extreme
> with firmware version 404.2.  The card is actally a MotorolaWPCI810G i
> bought on ebay.  I am wondering if anyone else has a setup similar to
> this, and if it is possible to get wireless with this setup on 4.1.
> Thanks.

Well, first you will have to find out what chip there actually is on
your wireless card. You could try lspci. It should be fairly easy to
find the wireless card in its output. If OS X says it is airport
extreme, then chances are there is a broadcom chip in your card.
However, this is bad news, since there is no stable linux driver for
those chips. However, one is under development that might work for you.
Find more information about that on http://bcm43xx.berlios.de. The linux
kernel sources include that driver since 2.6.17-rc1.

Hope that helps,

Mattias