MOL running Mac

Steven Mezzadri smezzadr at livonia.k12.mi.us
Tue May 23 05:47:57 MDT 2006

Let me give you a bit more background:

I have tried for a few weeks now to get mol 0.70-0.71pre to run on several
distributions of Linux (I spent the most time with Suse 10.1, Fedora 4, and
Yellow Dog 4.1 because I am most familiar with RPM-based distros).

I have been able to compile your package "mol-0.9.71_pre8.tar.bz2" using
"make / make install" successfully on most all of them, but after I'm done
and have completed molvconfig the same thing always happens:

I type  "startmol -cdboot" with an OS9 cdrom in the drive or just "startmol"
with a mac partition on the machine, I consistently get a white window with
nothing in it..  No error messages in the console window either -- he
machine just sits idle.  If I do "startmol -X" the window turns black or
white then gray, checks the cd-drive for media, then quits, because I don't
have OS X here, not even a boot CD... and even so, I want to run 9, not X.

Mol 0.68/0.69 works fine with OS9 on all Kernel 2.4-based linux
distributions I've tried (best luck was with Mandrake 9.1/Yellowdog 3.0.1),
but these older distributions lack a lot of other features I want, like ALSA
sound support, newer GLIBC libraries, and other components.

The hardware we have here is an iMac/350 with 320 MB RAM, 7 GB HD, CD-ROM.
We have 100's of these machines here and they run Linux very quickly, but to
move them to linux, I need to keep the old OS 9 applications available.

I've been using Finnix 0.87 to image the machines and to create a bootable
CD-ROM to duplicate my images on other iMacs, and that process works
great...  Just need the magic touch now to turn that white screen into a
"happy mac" :)

~Steve~