Stability of Mac-on-Linux?

Wolfgang Keller wolfgang.keller.nospam at gmx.de
Tue Oct 3 06:30:16 MDT 2006

Hello,

this might be heresy to ask, but...

How stable is Mac-on-Linux in everyday use?

As a reference: I didn't have to reboot my Powermac once since I've got it.
At least not for other reasons than activating freshly installed software.

The main reason why I would want to use Mac-on-Linux is that in Fink and
Macports, a lot of things are missing, outdated or broken. So I would prefer
to use Ubuntu instead. Or maybe NetBSD. But I would still use MacOS X and its
applications for most "everyday" work. So it needs to run absolutely
reliable.

Another nice aspect of Mac-on-Linux would be to be able to redirect a MacOS X
session to any other computer running an X server. How usable is this in a
switched 100MBit/s LAN? Depending on the power of the computer serving as X
terminal? I guess all those visual effects in Aqua consume lots of CPU and
bandwidth?

BTW: Some time ago, there was an interesting article in a computer magazine
about how to turn a Linux computer into a multi-user system by "simply"
connecting several screens and keyboards to it. A G5 Powermac could take 4
graphics cards, and physically connecting additional keyboards through USB
switches shouldn't be a problem either. So would it really be possible to
make four users work in parallel on a single PowerMac using Mac-on-Linux? Has
anyone actually tried this?

TIA,

Sincerely,

Wolfgang Keller