CPU overdrive

Joseph Jezak josejx at gentoo.org
Mon Jan 29 15:35:13 MST 2007

Calum Benson wrote:
> Since recompiling MOL for 2.16.20 (Ubuntu), it's running at 90%+ CPU
> all the time, even when the virtual Mac (OSX 10.4.8) is doing
> absolutely nothing (according to top).  It never used to do this, CPU
> usage used to be more like 30-50% when the VM was idle.

Can you try copying /dev/nvram to nvram.x (/var/lib/mol/nvram.x is
the default location).

> Maybe something to do with the USB code, running strace suggests that
> the MOL process is constantly trying to access /proc/bus/usb/005,
> which doesn't actually exist.  I don't have any USB devices connected.

It could be, I'm not seeing it here, but I did notice a similar
issue with a zeroed out nvram file and 10.4.  To work around it for
now, make install copies the nvram.dist to nvram.x, but it's just
papering over the problem for now.

Some machines have built in USB devices (USB touchpad?  Modem?).
Does /proc/bus/usb/005 not exist, or the device itself?

-Joe