[powerstation-owners] SLOF source code available

Adrian Reber adrian at lisas.de
Thu Dec 4 15:23:44 MST 2008

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 04:07:29PM -0600, James Bottomley wrote:
> > > It could simply be anomalies in my build environment.  Does anyone have
> > > a working takeover image and build firmware available for download
> > > anywhere?
> >
> > I am confused why you are trying to boot the takeover image. To try it
> > out to see if something is not working? Or because the documentation is
> > outdated and only describing the steps necessary to boot SLOF on
> > JS20/JS21 with the original product firmware?
>
> Because that's what the instructions in FlashingSLOF.pdf in the root of
> your git tree say to do ...
>
> So the mechanism I should be following is simply to execute
>
> update_firmware -f net:<file>
>
> in current slof (and pray I got the build right)?

Yes.

If something goes wrong the service processor should switch to the other
flashside. There you can then enter "update_flash -r" to "reject" your
flashed image. That will copy the backup (permanent) image to the primay
(temporary) side. With "1 set-flashside" you can toggle back to the
temporary side and reboot the system. Then everything should be as it
was.

The command ".flashside" will print out on which flashside you are
currently running (if you want to check).

Sometimes the service processor does not correctly switch to the other
flashside if the first is broken in some way. After powering off the
system and back on with the white button (without pulling the cable) it
then switches the flashside.

If the firmware hangs during the initialization of the graphics card it
helps if the card is removed and then the previous version of the
firmware can be recovered.

Of course it still can break in so many ways, but I have always been
able to recover using the permanent side as a backup.

		Adrian