[powerstation-owners] Upgrading memory

Adrian Reber adrian at lisas.de
Thu Dec 4 23:17:19 MST 2008

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 12:25:30PM +0100, Adrian Reber wrote:
> > I haven't been able to find a motherboard manual to determine if anything
> > else is required for an upgrade, what the correct type of memory is or if
> > there is a specific part required.
>
> I would assume you probably have "by 8" (x8) DIMMs, because looking at
> the code it says it only supports x4 DIMMS.
>
>        /*
>          * check DIMM compatibility
>          * configuration is 128 bit data/128 bit bus
>          * -all DIMMs must be organized as x4
>          * -all DIMMs must be 72 bit wide with ECC
>          * -all DIMMs must be registered DIMMs (RDIMMs)
>          * -paired DIMMs must have the same # of ranks, size & organization
>          */

I got an answer from someone who knows the board pretty good and he
said:

"""
Bimini was designed to support x4 only. For x8, there must be differential
clock wired to sockets. Only single-end clocks are wired to sockets on
Bimini. It's not possible to support x8 DIMMs.
"""

So now we know why the firmware limits us to x4 DIMMs and that x4 DIMMs
are the only DIMMs which will run in the PowerStation.

		Adrian