[powerstation-owners] SLOF serial console baud rate

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Dec 10 00:28:59 MST 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 22:57 -0800, Roland McGrath wrote:
> I have the Bimini with SLOF.  Is there a way to tell the firmware to use a
> different baud rate for the serial console?
>
> All my other serial consoles are at 115200, and when doing huge tracing
> output on a serial console, the faster the better and it really makes a
> difference.  I can of course still tell Linux to use 115200 for its serial
> console, but it's nice to have a single console line and speed that always
> works for both the firmware console and OS console.

Part of the problem is that the serial line is multiplexed with the BMC,
so if it's changed, the BMC will no longer output the right stuff and
will stop being able to snoop the power-off and power-on escape
sequences ...

What I would do, even if I understand that it's sub-optimal, is route
the kernel console to one of the other serial ports to the PCI based
UART.

Cheers,
Ben.