[powerstation-owners] iomem_resource on PowerStation

Mel Gorman mel at csn.ul.ie
Thu Nov 6 04:08:59 MST 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 11:07:34AM -0700, Jin Cheng wrote:

> On x86 Fedora, I can see iomem_resource named "system ram", but in
> PowerState Fedora 9, I don't see that. The cat of /proc/iomem only shows
> /ht and /pciex.
>
> Any idea?

AFAIK, this is deliberate. Early in boot, the x86 code walks the e820
memory map and registers system RAM as an IO resource
(arch/x86/kernel/e820.c if you really care). ppc64 does not do
the same thing. Nothing stops it doing the same thing and I'm pretty
sure it came up before....... ah yes,

http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/linuxppc-dev/2007-October/043580.html

Glancing through the thread, omitting System RAM from /proc/iomem was
deliberate at the time and judging from what is in git, it continues to
be. Is there any particular reason you wanted to see ram in iomem?

--
Mel Gorman
Part-time Phd Student                          Linux Technology Center