[powerstation-owners] troubleshooting non-booting powerstation

Jarod Wilson jarod at redhat.com
Wed Nov 19 10:58:23 MST 2008

Adrian Reber wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 12:17:13PM -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>>> I recently wound up with a rather nice looking powerstation in my lap...
>>> However, the thing doesn't seem to want to boot. It powers on, and I get
>>> the same thing every time:
>>>
>>> X1650PRO 512MB DDR2 600e/400m DDV            <blink>_</blink>
>>>
>>> Nothing beyond that, same thing on both DVI outputs, never get anything
>>> outputting on the debug port, as far as I can tell when I've got it
>>> hooked up.
>>>
>>> I've already reseated the memory and video card in the system, with no
>>> change in behavior. Anything obvious I'm missing here?
>> Okay, I managed to get it booting somehow... Seems there actually was
>> something accessible on the debug port, once I actually had the right
>> adapter in place, typing in 'boot' at the firmware prompt got me
>> further. Now the question is... Why is the firmware prompt only on the
>> debug port, and not on the vga output? (I presume its time I go poking
>> around in the firmware to figure that out myself).
>
> Serial console: very good. Can you tell us which firmware version is
> running on your PowerStation. It should tell that very early in the boot
> up. Just before the memory is configured.

JS2XBlade Starting
  Build Date = Jul 22 2008 17:16:18
  FW Version = JX-1.7.0-3
  Check ROM  = OK

Weird part is that I can't provide input over the serial console except
from the keyboard directly connected to the machine -- at least, not
until a kernel is loaded up, then serial console accepts input over
serial. I'm hoping I just need a firmware update?

Thanks much,

--jarod