[powerstation-owners] troubleshooting non-booting powerstation

Pattrick Hueper phueper at hueper.net
Wed Nov 19 13:37:04 MST 2008

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 9:31 PM, Adrian Reber <adrian at lisas.de> wrote:

> If the monitor does not do DDC correctly the firmware cannot detect if a
> monitor is connected and assumes that no monitor is connected and serial
> is the output.

Thats probably it, the message you are seeing is from the VGAs ExpROM,
it is still in text mode, if the monitor is not detected,
the Firmware does not switch to framebuffer mode, thus no output.
Could you try a different monitor?

> That it still enables the USB keyboard is probably a bug.
> I would expect that it should not enable the keyboard, but I have no
> access to a PowerStation anymore so I have to guess here. Looking at the
> code it seems that the keyboard is enabled even if no "screen" is found.

Yes, if a keyboard is found and no input is found from serial,  the
keyboard is selected as input device... you could detach the keyboard,
and only attach it once linux is up... or press some keys on the
serial console during boot _before_ the keyboard is detected, that
should direct the input to serial.

Cheers, Pattrick