[powerstation-owners] Upgrading memory

Adrian Reber adrian at lisas.de
Sun Nov 30 10:40:51 MST 2008

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 01:55:17PM +0000, Mel Gorman wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 12:25:30PM +0100, Adrian Reber wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 11:19:51AM +0000, Mel Gorman wrote:
> > > This is an embarassingly stupid question but how is the memory meant to
> > > be upgraded in these machines? I replaced the two old DIMMs with two of
> > > what should be similar type;
> > >
> > > 2 x 2GB 667MHz DDR2 P2-5300 ECC REG with Parity CL5, 240 pin Dual rank.
> > >
> > > On boot-up, it says
> > >
> > > JS2XBlade Starting
> > >  Build Date = Jul 22 2008 17:16:18
> > >  FW Version = JX-1.7.0-3
> > >  Check ROM  = OK
> > >  Press "s" to enter Open Firmware.
> > >
> > > U4 DDR2 memory controller setup V2.1
> > > ------------------------------------
> > >   [ERROR -> wrong DIMM organisation in bank 0]
> > >   [ERROR -> wrong DIMM organisation in bank 0]
> > >
> > > I haven't been able to find a motherboard manual to determine if anything
> > > else is required for an upgrade, what the correct type of memory is or if
> > > there is a specific part required.
> >
> > I would assume you probably have "by 8" (x8) DIMMs, because looking at
> > the code it says it only supports x4 DIMMS.

[...]

> Dirt, this is a bit of a kick but thanks for clarifying the situation and
> limitation. Are there options other than buying more memory? I'm
> guessing "no" but it doesn't hurt to ask.

What do you exactly mean with "options"? Options to use the memory which
is not supported?
Looking at the CPC945 documentation it says it supports x4, x8 and x16
DIMMs. Unfortunately I do not know why the code says it only supports x4
DIMMs. So I would say buying more memory is your only option right now.

		Adrian