[powerstation-owners] Ubuntu Jaunty on PowerStation.

Stefan Nürnberger nuernbe at tu-cottbus.de
Tue Apr 7 04:14:54 MDT 2009

Luke Yelavich schrieb:
> Hi all
> I'm writing to let you know that as of about half an hour ago, I have Ubuntu Jaunty running on the PowerStation.  There are still bits that need to be fixed up, such as the firmware flash files etc under /proc/rtas, and maybe other things I haven't checked yet, but Ubuntu is running, with Compiz working out of the box with the ATI card.
>
> I needed to make a few changes to parts of debian-installer, and even then I ran into a few snags installing, which required manual hackery. My plan is to iron out the issues, and send patches to Debian to be included in Debian Installer, for use there, and for use in Ubuntu as well. I will make an ISO of Ubuntu Jaunty available when Jaunty is released if anyone is interested in using it.
>
> Luke

That's great news. Thank you for that effort. I didn't believe someone
was still actively working on Ubuntu for powerpc. If I'm not mistaken it
is at least not offically supported. I'm quite surprised to here that
Compiz (with 3D acceleration, I suppose) is working for you. All
combinations of xorg and radeon drivers I tried for the machine made X
lock up sooner or later when acceleration was active. This was on Gentoo
linux. I don't know if YDL supports 3D with the powerstation.

Stefan