[powerstation-owners] Add-on Memory and Hard Drive (questions .. advice needed)

Stefan Nürnberger nuernbe at TU-Cottbus.DE
Fri May 1 02:24:50 MDT 2009

Kai Staats wrote:
> Robert,
>
>> This is my first message to the list so I hope I am doing it properly.
>> Otherwise, I am very sorry to trouble you.
>
> No trouble at all.

Well, at least I didn't receive the original message from the list.
Makes me wonder if I missed anything else.

>> I have purchased the 4GB Kingston stick and found a slot to install it that
>> also lets the machine boot.  However, the new memory does not show up on
>> the System Tools/System Monitor nor when I check with the 'free -m' prompt
>> command.  Is there something else I need to do.  (Please note the stick
>> in some memory slots prevents the machine from booting or prevents the
>> monitor from working.)
>
> Interesting --Brian (w/IBM), any ideas?
>

>> My second question is related to sound cards.  I have purchase both
>> recommended cards.  The Sound Blaster Audigy SE installs with no problems
>> and the system boots with no problem but it is not recognized by the system
>> and does not work.  When I install the recommended Blaster X-Fi Titanium
>> PCI experss, it does not permit the computer to boot or disables the
>> monitor. What should I do?
>
> Owen?

The boot problem could be related to the firmware bug with additional
PCI-Expess cards (Alignment Error) that was fixed in the experimental
SLOF version. Serial console output should clarify that.

For the sound card: I use a Terratec Aureon Dual USB card/stick, which
works like a charm even with the USB 1.1 ports. Maybe that's an option
if you don't need any fancy surround sound options etc.

Greetings,
Stefan