[powerstation-owners] SATA drives on the SAS controller

Adam Conrad adconrad at 0c3.net
Wed Aug 22 02:49:01 JST 2012

Hi,

Not sure if anyone's still reading this list.  I have an old PowerStation
that I used in it's original shipping configuarion for years for Ubuntu
PowerPC porting, but I'm finally looking at messing with that original
setup.

I know that some (most?) SAS controllers can handle SATA drives being
used instead, but I also know this isn't a universal truth, and was hoping
someone on the list had already experimented with such configuations
with the PowerStation so they can tell me in advance if it will or won't
be a terrible idea. :P

Also curious if there are drive size limits, if any of this can be
overcome by flashing the "latest" and greatest firmware (which I never
did in the past, like I said, my machine is still stock).  Any advice
given would be appreciated.

... Adam