[yellowdog-announce] Concerning YDL and Apple's switch to Intel CPUs: 2005 06/06

yellowdog-announce at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-announce at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Jun 6 16:22:22 MDT 2005

Yellow Dog Linux Enthusiasts,

I apologize for the delay in responding to the news concerning Apple's switch
to Intel. I am in Barcelona, Spain for the IBM power.org conference, and was
just settling into my hotel when I received calls from my associates back
home. I have required a few hours to review email and websites before
offering this brief communication.

Three main points:
1) We remain a Linux development company with 100% focus on the Power
Architecture (IBM, Freescale). We will not transition to support an x86/ia64
architecture.

2) Terra Soft remains in good standing with Apple. Their announcement does not
immediately affect our ability to sell nor support Apple PowerPC hardware.
Nor does it affect our ability to support non-Apple Power Architecture
offerings. Things are already in motion to enable a world of greater Power
Architecture diversity.

3) Based upon feeback to today's news, we expect Y-HPC to gain an even greater
userbase with existing Apple Xserve users. Y-HPC offers a Linux OS to help
bridge x86/ia64 and PowerPC clusters, reducing effort in code migration and
administration.

I and my team appreciate the email we received today. I ask only that you
grant us the time to work with our industry associates both here at the
conference and in the States before responding in full.

Thank you for your patience and support.

Sincerely,
Kai Staats, CEO
Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.