[yellowdog-announce] "YDL simply wipes the floor with Mac OS X"

yellowdog-announce at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-announce at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Sep 2 11:33:51 MDT 2005

AnandTech:
"No More Apple Mysteries, Part Two"
http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2520

"While the G5 is not the best integer processing unit out there, it is not the
one to blame for the poor performance that we experienced in our first tests.
Running Yellow Dog Linux, the Dual G5 was capable of performing similar to a
3 GHz Xeon ... YDL simply wipes the floor with Mac OS X: 411 versus 113
queries per second. It gets worse at 10 concurrent users: 443 queries per
second on Linux versus 62 on Mac Os X."

             -------------------------

As a follow-up to AnandTech's performance tests of the G5 running OSX against
x86/ia64 hardware running Linux in June of this year
(http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2436), this article makes it
clear that not only does Yellow Dog Linux out-perform OSX in the server
benchmarks conducted, but causes one to question why Apple now claims Intel
is faster than IBM's 970.

This technical document is a must read for anyone considering the performance
of Linux on Power for server applications. Some excerpts are as follow:

"... now that Apple has announced clearly that the next generation of the
Apple machines will be based on Intel ... the G5 is not the reason why we saw
terrible, slow performance. In fact, we found that the IBM PowerPC 970FX has
a few compelling advantages."

"It is again ironic that the Power 970MP is far more advanced than the current
Intel Dual-cores when it comes to power management."

"... we found a 2.5 GHz G5 to perform more or less like a Pentium 4 3 - 3.2
GHz in integer tasks. So, a 2 GHz G5 is probably around the speed of a 2.6
GHz Pentium 4."

"... Apachebench on Mac OS X gets in trouble again ... On the other hand, YDL
and the Xeon platform are roughly 3X as fast with version 2.0."

"The reason we chose Yellow dog is that Terra Soft, the company behind this
Linux version, optimises only for the G5. So, Yellow dog is by far the most
PowerPC optimized Linux distribution out there."

"The difference between the PowerMac running Linux and Mac OS X Server is
absolutely striking. Mac OS X server shows better performance going from one
to a second connection (and thus thread) because the second CPU steps in and
helps carry the load. After that, however, performance completely collapses
and stabilizes at around 50 queries per second."

"It is clear that if you plan to run MySQL on Apple hardware, it is better to
install YDL Linux than to use OS X. If you need excellent read performance,
the maximum performance of your server will be up to 8 times better. If your
server is only going to serve a limited number of users, YDL Linux will allow
you to run with a less expensive system."

"Now that the open source community finally has a decent compiler for the
Apple platform, Apple management decides to step over to another
architecture. Ironically, right now, the Intel architecture needs a
super-optimized compiler (Intel's own) to reach the FP performance that the
G5 now reaches with a very popular but far less aggressive compiler (gcc)."