[yellowdog-announce] Themis, Terra Soft Offer 64-bit PowerPC Linux Board Support Package

Announce List for all Terra Soft products (moderated) yellowdog-announce at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Jan 24 07:16:13 MST 2007

Themis and Terra Soft collaborate to provide Linux support for Themis' PowerPC
970FX-based TPPC64 Single Board Computer

FREMONT, California – January 18, 2007 - Themis Computer announced its
collaboration with Terra Soft Solutions to deliver a complete Linux
distribution for the TPPC64, Themis' first in a new family of 6U VMEbus
single board computers based on the IBM PowerPC 970FX superscalar RISC
processor.

"Early in our PPC 970 development program, Themis turned to Terra Soft and
their Yellow Dog Linux, for prototype support software", said William E.
Kehret, president of Themis Computer. "As Themis moved into production with
the TPPC64, we asked Terra Soft for the most current Linux OS available and
we can now offer our users Yellow Dog Linux v5.0 – based on the Fedora Core 5
foundation", Mr. Kehret added.

"We are pleased to play a vital role in the delivery of Themis' PowerPC
970-based product" stated Kai Staats, CEO of Terra Soft Solutions. "Themis'
TPPC64 is an excellent host for our leadership LINUX platform, offering
high-density, high performance computing, combined with the full features of
a single board computer, including audio and video", Mr. Staats added.

Two TPPC64 configurations are available; a single processor single slot
computer and a dual-processor, symmetric multiprocessing, two-slot solution.

The PowerPC 970FX processor provides maximum performance for existing 32-bit
applications and new 64-bit applications. The 1.8GHz TPPC64, in a single-slot
configuration, can be configured with up to 4GBytes of DDR400 memory and
includes dual Gigabit Ethernet ports and features dual Ultra320 SCSI
interfaces. The single-processor TPPC64 also includes six USB ports, AC'97
audio, and four serial ports. A second processor may be added, in a second
VME slot, communicating with the baseboard via a coherent Hyper-transport
link and adds a 64-bit 133MHz PMC slot.

"It is important to Themis to provide an industry standard Linux OS backed by
a recognized leader. Terra Soft's Yellow Dog Linux Board Support Package
provides a stable, flexible foundation for self hosted and cross platform
code development, application and data services, and high performance
computing," stated William Kehret. "Terra Soft's eight year dedication to
this architecture assures our customers of a stable platform for the
continued evolution of their PPC based applications. Our collaboration with
Terra Soft is yet another example of our deep commitment to the mission
critical needs of our customers in aerospace, data/telecom, military and
commercial markets", Mr. Kehret added.

About Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.
As the recognized leader in Linux for Power since 1999, Terra Soft provides
turn-key, integrated solutions built upon IBM, Mercury, and Sony systems,
board support packages for Power OEMs, and cross-architecture Linux
applications for high performance computing. Terra Soft develops Yellow Dog
Linux, the leading 32/64-bit Linux OS for the Power architecture, first to
market with support for the Cell processor; the Y-HPC cross-architecture
cluster construction suite; and Y-Bio, a cross-architecture gene sequence
analysis suite for both workstations and clusters.

For more information, visit www.terrasoftsolutions.com

About Themis Computer
Themis is a leading provider of hardware and software solutions for mission
critical applications in aerospace, data/telecom, military, and commercial
markets. Themis provides open standards-based computing platforms that
support Sun Solaris, Linux, and Microsoft Windows operating environments.
Themis' products incorporate features designed to ensure high reliability and
availability while reducing the risks of failure caused by extreme
environments. An ISO 9001 certified company, Themis Computer practices Total
Quality Management (TQM) in all areas of its business, from engineering and
manufacturing to customer service. Themis Computer is headquartered in
Fremont, California and offers worldwide service and support.

For more information please visit www.themis.com

	# # #

Themis, the Themis logo, TPPC64, and TA64 are trademarks or registered
trademarks of Themis Computer. AMD and Turion are trademarks or registered
trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. IBM and PowerPC are registered
trademarks of IBM in the United States. Microsoft and Windows are registered
trademarks of Microsoft Corporation. Linux is a registered trademark of Linus
Torvalds. Sun, Sun Microsystems, and Solaris are trademarks or registered
trademarks of Sun Microsystems, Inc. in the United States and other
countries. All other trademarks are trademarks of their respective companies.