[yellowdog-announce] Terra Soft Requests Funds for Kenyan Orphanage -- 25 January 2008

Announce List for all Terra Soft products (moderated) yellowdog-announce at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Jan 25 01:00:14 MST 2008

\KENYAN ORPHANAGE RECEIVES 30 CHILDREN; NEEDS SUPPLIES

NAKURU, Kenya - 25 January 2008 - Following the controversial Presidential
elections in December, Kenya is experiencing violence that has left an
estimated quarter million people uprooted or homeless and several hundred
dead.

This week the Pistis Academy & Orphanage has received 30 new children whose
parents have been killed or homes destroyed. While the Red Cross is working
to sustain an estimated 2,000 people now given shelter in a ball park in
Nakuru center, no additional funding has been offered by the Kenyan
government to help support those new children at Pistis.

In August of 2007, Terra Soft CEO Kai Staats traveled to Kenya through Student
Project Africa Network (SPAN) to Nakuru, 3 hours northwest of Nairobi, where
he lived and worked with the children and faculty of the Pistis to improve
the water supply, electricity, and food storage systems.

"My host family, the Wekesas, have been keeping me informed of the situation,
sometimes every few hours. It has been both incredible and very difficult for
me to receive these communications for I cannot know what it is like to see
the world around me unravel as they have. A questionable election invoked a
frustrated violence which has now fallen to general lawlessness, gangs of
young boys burning homes, gun shots by day and night. While Nakuru was
relatively quiet in comparison to Nairobi and other hot-spots, a recent
series of emails and phone calls from my friends have made it clear this
remains a very scary time," offers Staats.

        To read text messages & emails sent from Pistis:
        http://blogs.ydl.net/kai/category/out-of-africa/

Staats continues, "While I do not know how to reduce the violence, I do know I
have the power to channel funds to the orphanage where I worked, to support
the children I came to know and those whom have just arrived. I ask that you
consider a donation to Pistis to help purchase blankets, soap, clothing, and
food at a time when the prices have risen five-fold and supplies are
increasingly hard to obtain due to interrupted distribution channels. This is
a critical time for Pistis. We must move to assist them now."

All donations will be routed through SPAN to Cameron Dunkin, an executive
board member of SPAN who is in Nakuru now, working with Pistis to help
accommodate the new arrivals. SPAN will move 95% of all funds received
directly to Pistis where its dispersal will be overseen by Cameron, ensuring
the full effectiveness of your donation.

        To provide a donation to Pistis:
        http://studentprojectafricanetwork.org/forms/donation/

About Student Project Africa Network
Student Project Africa Network (SPAN), founded by Truman Scholar Rebecca
Mitchell, offers a conduit between volunteers and Pistis to further the
construction of facilities, improve the foundation for education, and give
the children hope for something beyond their immediate needs.

For more information, visit www.studentprojectafricanetwork.org

About Terra Soft Solutions, Inc.
As the recognized leader in Linux for Power since 1999, Terra Soft provides
Yellow Dog Linux board support for Power architecture chip vendors and OEMs;
turn-key, integrated solutions built upon IBM, Mercury, and Sony systems,
including the PS3; and cross-architecture Linux applications for high
performance computing, including Y-HPC Cluster Construction Suite and the
Y-Film Asset Management System.

Terra Soft recently completed the design of a new website for SPAN,
implementing a complete server-side communication and project management
system to enable SPAN to effectively expand its reach with limited increase
in resource expenditure.

For more information, visit www.terrasoftsolutions.com

PS3 is a registered trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Power is a
trademark of IBM. YDL, Y-HPC, and Y-Film are registered trademarks of Terra
Soft Solutions. Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds. Additional
product and company names mentioned may be trademarks and/or registered
trademarks of their respective holders.