[yellowdog-announce] Fixstars Launches Yellow Dog Enterprise Linux v6.1 for Cell: Press Release 15 April 2009

Announce List for all Fixstars Solutions products (moderated) yellowdog-announce at lists.fixstars.com
Wed Apr 15 09:10:18 MDT 2009

WITH EXPANDED SUPPORT, YDEL V6.1 OUTPERFORMS THE COMPETITION

LOVELAND, COLORADO - 15 April 2009 - Fixstars today announced the release of
Yellow Dog Enterprise Linux (YDEL) v6.1. This release introduces important
performance improvements as well as new features for the world's only Linux
OS built specifically for the Cell Broadband Engine. In addition to providing
continued support for Fixstars GigaAccel 180 and IBM QS2x blades, YDEL v6.1
now offers support for the Sony PlayStation3 and IBM JS2x series blades.

"In each release of YDL or YDEL, we focus on one particular area to improve.
In YDEL v6.1 while we broadened the hardware support to include the PS3 and
IBM JS blades, our focus was to improve the overall performance of the
distribution. YDEL now installs faster, boots faster, and our customers'
applications will also benefit from a performance increase," said Owen
Stampflee, Fixstars Solutions Director of Engineering.

Results for benchmark tests demonstrate noteworthy performance increases in
comparison to other Linux distributions. When running LINPACK (HPL), which is
used for the TOP500.org, YDEL v6.1 is 1.5% faster than RHEL on a single
blade. The Bonnie++ I/O benchmark shows YDEL as 19.5% faster for NFS than
RHEL and 24.8% faster for tmpfs than Fedora.

For more information on these benchmark tests, visit
us.fixstars.com/products/ydel/benchmarks.shtml

YDEL v6.1 features several performance improvements such as a patch for
increasing memory copy speeds, which in turns improves the performance of
device drivers. In addition, this release includes the next generation of
ps3vram support, which greatly improves the performance of using for fast,
temp file storage or swap using PS3 video RAM.

YDEL v6.1 supports:
 - Sony PLAYSTATION(R) 3
 - Fixstars GigaAccel 180 and other PXCAB derivatives
 - IBM QS2x / JS2x series blade servers and derivatives

YDEL v6.1 offers these updates over v6.0:
 - Kernel 2.6.22 except for PS3, 2.6.28 for PS3
 - GCC 4.1.2
 - Cell SDK 3.1
 - Barcelona Supercomputing Center's Cell Superscalar (CellSs) framework
 - Improved Infiniband support with OFED v1.4
 - Faster installation
 - Improved boot times
 - Addition of the libfreevec library, which can provide for up to 25%
increase in application performance.
 - Firefox 3.0
 - Improved PS3 VRAM Storage/Swap Support, faster than YDL 6.1 with no
configuration required.

"Yellow Dog Enterprise Linux v6.1 offers vast improvements for professional
Cell development and high performance computing," said Akihiro Asahara,
General manager of Platform division, Fixstars Corporation. "With this new
release, we have included the latest IBM Cell SDK v3.1, Barcelona
Supercomputing Center Cell Superscalar, and updated libraries which
facilitate improved code execution. The end result is a highly competitive,
enterprise level operating system which offers realworld results."

The Fixstars Solutions website now contains an expanded collection of YDEL
documentation. This on-line library allows users to find answers to their
Linux and Cell related questions, from installation instructions to HOWTOs.

	To review the HOWTOs:
	us.fixstars.com/support/solutions/ydel_6.x/

	To learn more about YDEL v6.1:
	us.fixstars.com/products/ydel/

About Fixstars
Fixstars is the pioneering company of the Cell Broadband Engine, high
performance multi-core processor. Fixstars enables companies to speed up
business through delivery of high performance, quality applications,
middleware, and Linux operating system for the Cell based hardware, including
the GigaAccel 180 and IBM QS22 blades for industries such as Finance,
Medical, Manufacturing and Digital media. Founded in 2002, Fixstars is
headquartered in Tokyo, Japan with subsidiary Fixstars Solutions in San Jose,
CA and Loveland, CO.