[yellowdog-announce] Fixstars Releases The First Enterprise Linux OS for Optimal GPU Computing - Press Release - March 2, 2010

Announce List for all Fixstars Solutions products (moderated) yellowdog-announce at lists.fixstars.com
Wed Mar 3 10:52:32 JST 2010

The First Enterprise Linux OS for Optimal GPU Computing
Fixstars to release Yellow Dog Enterprise Linux for CUDA

Tokyo - March 2, 2010 - Fixstars releases "Yellow Dog Enterprise Linux for
CUDA(TM)", the first enterprise Linux OS optimized for GPU computing. YDEL for
CUDA offers end users, developers and integrators a faster, more reliable, and
less complex GPU computing experience.

"With Fixstars providing direct support for CUDA, more researchers, scientists
and HPC programmers will be able to take advantage of the performance benefits
enabled by massively parallel GPUs." said Sanford Russell, general manager of
GPU Computing at NVIDIA.

Yellow Dog Enterprise Linux for CUDA offers unparalleled integration of the CUDA
development environments, greater reliability with GPU computing centric
validation. Also included is Fixstars' own Eclipse-based graphical IDE for CUDA
as well as a comprehensive support for both Linux and the CUDA architecture.

"Yellow Dog's advance to the x86 architecture is without a doubt a monumental
event for the operating system, which had been known for the past 10 years as
the Linux distribution for the Power Architecture," said Akihiro Asahara, the
development director of YDEL at the Fixstars Corporation. "Since our mission is
to provide optimal multi-core solutions, it is only natural that we have come to
release this product. YDEL for CUDA is an OS built by CUDA developers for CUDA
developers. We hope people enjoy the usability of this product."

Key benefits of Yellow Dog Enterprise Linux for CUDA:
 - YDEL for CUDA users can experience up to a 9% performance improvement in some
applications.
 - Comprehensive support is offered to paid subscriptions with our skilled team
able to assist you with both Linux and CUDA.
 - YDEL's unparalleled integrations means everything you need to write and run
CUDA applications is included and configured.
 - YDEL includes multiple versions of CUDA and can easily switch between them
via a setting in a configuration file or an environment variable.
 - Never worry about updates affecting your system, Fixstars offers YDEL users
greater reliability with our strenuous test procedures that validate GPU
computing functionality and performance.

What the GPU community is saying about YDEL for CUDA:
"Including moving my projects across and re-arranging things a bit, I ended up
with a fully working development platform in easily less than an hour. Having
the SDK, card drivers and a familiar environment all in one ready-to-go package
has been very helpful. Our CUDA application is a database-driven peptide and
protein identification system and just compiled and worked with no fuss at all."
- Vic Spicer, a Software Developer and Lab manager at the University of Manitoba

"When the next-generation GPU architecture "Fermi" becomes available, GPU
computing will see even more widespread use. YDEL for CUDA will minimize the
cost spent on menial tasks such as trouble-shooting and driver updates, allowing
the developer to focus on the CUDA application itself. As the first Linux
Distribution optimized for GPU Computing, I am looking forward to its
advancement such as tuning for the asynchronous data transfer between the host
and device."
- Professor Takayuki Aoki, Global Scientific Information and Computer Center,
Tokyo Institute of Technology

"Fixstars as a leading company in GPU Computing in Japan, YDEL for CUDA is one
of the best solution integration solution for NVIDIA GPU in Linux OS. Leadtek
Graphic board developers are pleased to have this solutions for CUDA GPU
Programming."
- K.S.LU, CEO, Leadtek Research Inc

"Fixstars is one of Japan's earliest pioneers in the field of GPU Computing. And
I firmly believe that the release of their Linux Distribution optimized for CUDA
will prove to be helpful especially to those new to GPU computing."
-Katsuya Nishi, Chairman & CEO, Best Systems, Inc

"We are very pleased to hear the announcement for the official release of YDEL
for CUDA. YDEL is the only enterprise Linux distribution that provide strong
support for GPU computing. It provides a high-quality, user-friendly
environment, featuring default support for CUDA development using Eclipse, and
faster execution of CUDA applications. We will be recommending YDEL for CUDA as
the default OS to be used for all GPU computing models. Towa Electrical will
continue to provide optimal electronics solution to our customers, with
cooperation from Fixstars."
- Iino Tadamichi, CEO, TOWA Electric Co., Ltd

To obtain YDEL for CUDA
For businesses
The subscription fee for each server is 400 USD/year, which can be obtained
directly online or through our partners. For more details, please visit:
http://www.fixstars.com/en/products/ydel/cuda/purchase.html

For Educational use
The non-supported version can be downloaded for free for educational purposes.
http://www.fixstars.com/en/products/ydel/store/education/

For more details on "Yellow Dog Enterprise Linux for CUDA", please visit:
http://www.fixstars.com/en/products/ydel/cuda

For more information, visit www.fixstars.com/en/

--
The YDL Team