MySQL vs PostgreSQL (was "RE: MySQL install from source??")

mike cullerton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Apr 3 05:47:00 2002

On Wednesday, April 3, 2002, at 10:14 AM, Pete Peters wrote:

> Chris,
>
> First of all, thanks for the ACID test link. Very interesting.
>
> I eventually plan to install one of those database programs on my
> Linux box
> for my own learning and edification. I'm curious. Would you consider
> MySQL
> vs PostgreSQL similar to MS Access vs MS SQL or Filemaker vs 4D?

well, since no one else seems willing to standup for mysql, i will.

mysql is sql, not filemaker or access. it is a relational database.
sure, it uses files to store the data on the server, but you have to
store the data somehow.

quoting from the first paragraph of mysql's manual:

"The MySQL (TM) software delivers a very fast, multi-threaded,
multi-user, and robust SQL (Structured Query Language) database
server. MySQL Server is intended for mission-critical, heavy load
production systems as well as for embedding into mass-deployed
software."

mysql can do anything you want it to, and can probably do it faster
than any other database out there. mysql is designed for speed, to
quickly get information out so you can build dynamic web pages. i'm
no db guru, or snob, but most people don't need atomicity or
rollback. they want to produce web pages.

all my sites use mysql. some peppered all day with hundreds of
thousands of records being replicated over 4 machines. no problems.
many of the queries join multiple tables together without any
slowness. (btw, postgres can't do replication)

mysql rocks.

that being said, i have (close) friends who use postgres. it works
for them. they are nice people. i still like them.

just don't pass fud around about mysql.