MySQL vs PostgreSQL (was "RE: MySQL install from source??")

Kevin Lawver yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Apr 3 07:32:01 2002

I've never used MySQL, but as someone who was new to Linux and wanted to
play with an RDBMS that I needed to set up myself, Postgres was
incredibly easy to set up, install, and get working with my webserver
(AOLserver).  I currently use Postgres to serve up my group's intranet,
generating a couple thousand hits a day on a little throwaway box, and
it's been a champ.  It's been stable, easy to use, and while I haven't
had to do any real "administration" other than adding users, it's been
really easy.  Postgres' new interactive documentation is also very nice.

Honestly, I'd try both if you have the time.  That way, you'll see the
differences between the two for yourself.  Plus, if you installed
everything when you installed YDL - they're both already installed.

Kevin Lawver
lawver.net