severe problems after playing with kernel compiling

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Apr 4 08:04:01 2002

On Thu, 2002-04-04 at 00:11, mpople@orbeng.com wrote:
> Hi again
> just to add to my woes, after cleaning out the kernel i compiled and
booting
> up with the original kernel that has worked for ages, i tried to fix the
> sound, modprobe dosnt know about dmasound_pmac but now i dont have
> wirelless-tools installed! its just dissapeared i used to use it daily,
so i
> jumped on the net to have a look and when i tried to run mozzilla it dump
me
> into a
> mon>  prompt! i dont even waht this is!
> im a newby and have no idea what ive done wrong. but would just like to
get
> sound working until the 8th when i can upgrade to 2.2, i left the old
kernel
> intac i didnt touch it but now its lost all of its modules ??
> cheers
> Mark

When you did the make menuconfig, if there was not already a .config
file in /usr/src/linux, then the .config you end up with is vastly
different than the one
the stock kernel was built with.

In the configs directory is a file kernel-2.4.10-ppc.config which will make
your kernel
back to the stock kernel, and your modules back to what they should be.

You could diff .config against that file to see if this was an issue for
you.
If it was, then do

make mrproper
cp   configs/kernel-2.4.10-ppc.config    .config

Then do your build, complete with making and installing modules.

Hope that helps.
G. Hannon