Netatalk & OSX Compatability Problems Solved

Romeyn Prescott yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Apr 4 21:55:00 2002

Somewhen around 8:53 PM -0700 4/4/02, a person believing themself to
be Neil Jolly scribbled:
>On Thu, 2002-04-04 at 07:31, Paul Guba wrote:
>>  Neil
>>
>>  Finally had time to deal with this issue.  Your advice worked like a
>>  charm.  You need to submit this page to YDL How to.  Thank you very much.
>>
>>  P Guba
>
>Glad to hear that it wored for you. That's 3 of us now that I know of.
>If you're listening Dan (or whoever) help yourself to that
>page.(http://www.jollycom.ca/osx/atalk.html), and do whatever you please
>with the info.

I work with one of the netatalk developers (though not ON netatalk
itself); he's the guy who wrote the original Webmin module for it
(still needing work, by his own admission).  We figured out one day a
few weeks ago that setting your netatalk server to display a login
"welcome" message would allow OS X clients to connect.  This had the
effect of delaying the connection ever-so-slightly and allowing
<something> more time to happen.  It basically "stalled" OS X while
netatalk could "catch up".

(I apologize for not being more technical, but I'm quite ignorant as
to the exact details.)

ANYHOO; as he figured out what was wrong, he submitted a patch to the
netatalk project to incorporate a delay (on the order of a few
milliseconds, if memory serves) into the connection process.  This
appears to have been implemented as of 1.5.3.1.  I just installed it
on my new YDL 2.1 box today and my OS X-running PowerBook connects
just fine.

Still, I suppose, YMMV.  Someone else wanna try it?

...ROMeyn
--

signat-url: http://www2.potsdam.edu/dctm/prescor/signat-url.htm
-