openssl & openssh inconsistency?

Romeyn Prescott yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Apr 5 09:57:01 2002

Somewhen around 11:37 AM -0500 4/5/02, a person believing themself to
be Stefan Jeglinski scribbled:
>I installed openssh-3.1p1-2 from the YDL updates directory. There
>was no openssl there so I installed openssl-0.9.6-9. The latter
>installed libcrypto.so.1 and created a symlink
>libcrypto.so.1->libcrypto.so.0.9.6. All was well and good.
>
>Now I'm trying to rebuild netatalk-1.5.2-1a from YDL 2.2 source
>RPMS, and it needs openssl-devel. Fine, so I look in the YDL 2.2
>sources and I see the same openssh-3.1p1-2 I already installed, and
>openssl-0.9.6b-8, which I assume is "matched" to the openssh.
>
>So I rebuild openssl-0.9.6b-8 to get the devel rpm. Again all works.
>
>Now the punchline. When I try to install my newly rebuilt
>openssl-0.9.6b-8 rpms,  I get
>
>libcrypto.so.1 is needed by openssh-clients-3.1p1-2
>libcrypto.so.1 is needed by openssh-3.1p1-2
>libcrypto.so.1 is needed by openssh-server-3.1p1-2

<snip>

What I'm about to suggest is probably radical and will probably cause
people who actually understand what goes on here to claw their faces
off.  But I'm a USER, not a PROGRAMMER and as such I tend to go with
whatever works (whether it's SUPPOSED to or not!).

If you're trying to install (re-install) netatalk from RPM and are
reasonably sure you have everything it needs, try this:

rpm -Uvh --force --nodeps netatalk....rpm

I refer to this as "inflicting" software on a system as opposed to
"installing".

:-)

Many a time this command has been my saviour after HOURS of dealing
with catch-22 dependency issues.

Your mileage may, as always, vary.

...ROMeyn
--