Why use old version?

Romeyn Prescott yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Apr 8 07:25:05 2002

><snip>

>  > Must be an old version of xmms? It swaps bytes if necessary since 1.2.5
>>  or so.
>
>Hi Michel,
>
>That's good to know.  I was using xmms-1.2.4 that came with YDL 2.1,
>but I see that YDL 2.2 has xmms-1.2.5, so I'll give that a try.

I find this curious, and I'd like to politely ask why you were using
an old version?  One of the first things I do when I decide to make
more than trivial one-time use of <some app> is to see if I have the
latest version.  I didn't even let the YDL installer install Samba,
netatalk, or apache, for example because I KNEW there were newer
versions out there.

I'm sure that what's on the YDL 2.1 CD was current when the iso was
built, but those things are static, aren't they?  Hardly a source for
"current" versions of ANYTHING mere weeks after release!

Granted, what's on the CD is probably known to work properly with
that distribution, but stuff's always changing!

But that's just MY opinion.  I could be wrong.  ;-)

...ROMeyn

PS:  Sorry...it's the first day of Spring Break and all the students
are gone.  And it's a Monday.  And I haven't finished my coffee.
--

signat-url: http://www2.potsdam.edu/dctm/prescor/signat-url.htm
-