WHOSE kernel?

r. may yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Apr 9 08:03:01 2002

> I have often seen reference to <this kernel> or <that kernel>... Am I
> right in assuming that these are kernels configured and compiled by
> people for others not savvy enough to "roll their own?"  (That's not
> meant as a slam on anyone...)

Not really, it's more of a reference to who's done coding work to that
kernel.  Benh Kernels tend to support more features at times.  For a
while I found them to be quite reliable but now, well, umm...

> Further, what's "special" about BenH's kernel?  Could I not make this
> work myself by compiling my own?  Or is this something I should stay
> away from on PPC and leave it to the "experts"?

Sounds like your accustomed to linux on x86 machines.  Compiling on PPC
is no different than on an x86.  Instead of "make bzdisk" or "make
install" try this instead "make vmlinux"  this will leave you with a new
kernel in /usr/src/linux or wherever you keep your source.

r. May