YDL 2.2 install on Pb3400c failure during partitioning

Bill Fink yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Apr 10 22:13:00 2002

On Wed Apr 10 2002, Jeff Brendle wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. The problem I was having was after exiting from
> the partitioning screen in the text-mode installer after creating the
> 3 slices in the unallocated first partition of the hdd (by clicking
> "save"). That's where the program starts to do the filesystem
> formatting/mounting, gets I think to the 2nd or 3rd partition (the
> ext2 one for linux, I see that it does the swap one, that takes a
> couple of seconds, the 10M bootloader one might be quick enough that
> I don't see it, that's why I am not sure if it is busy with the third
> or maybe something is really crashing when it tries to do something
> with the swap partition it just finished if that's the 1st one it is
> working on?), then I assume whatever program they are using (format?
> newfs??) sees something it doesn't like, and exits nastily: "install
> exited abnormally" and then I assume the install wrapper script does
> the term/kill signalling to bring the system down and force a reboot.
> Don't know WHY, but it does this reproducibly each time, same place.
> FWIW, my map looks like this: hda9 - hfs for the bootloader, hda10
> hfs for macos, hda11 for the swap, and hda12 for linux. That this is
> different from the example in the manual doesn't seem to me to be
> sufficient reason for the crash. But then, I don't have any better
> idea of what its problem IS.

Hi Jeff,

One of the earlier YDL installers had a bug, where it appeared to assume
that the first partition after the boot loader was the root partition.
I don't know if this is still the case with the YDL 2.2 installer.  But
you might want to try using the recommended order, which in your case I
believe would be macos (hda9), bootloader (hda10), root (hda11), swap (hda12),
and then any others such as a partition for user files (hda13, etc).

						-Bill