YD 2.2 setup fails at package copy step (WAS: Re: Install on TiBook)

Jean-Philippe Jung (Home) yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Apr 11 14:02:00 2002

Hi,

Happy to see I am not alone on that one.

Problem: I would call that a bug. I faced same symptoms: followed the
documentation to split my 10 GB dribe (iBook 2001) in 3. Left the 1st part
unallocated, installed OS 9.2 on the second part then OS X on the third.
Following the documentation, I then booted from CD, graphical setup, easy
setup, do the linux partitions as requested (10 MB boot loader first, 128 MB
swap second, root partition with the rest).
Installer fails at package copy with a critical script error and the
installer goes nowhere after that.

Cause: when you create the partitions as per documentation, you make: 10 MB
boot loader (appears as hfs). Then a swap partition (e.g. 128 MB swap). Then
the root partition (e.g. 3 GB, as ext2). The installer in simple mode does
then automatically assign the mount points, but incorrectly: it gives root
(/) to the 10 MB partition and does not mount the 3 GB partition. I just
have a memory hole that prevents me from precising if this occur before or
just after the partitions are formatted.

Resolution: I went to text based setup for kernel 2.4. Used the "expert"
mode so I could go back and forward to steps.
Do partitionate as per documentation, assign your mount points manually,
format the partitions then go back to see the mount points: they should now
be wrong, with root on the 10 MB partition and no mount point for the 3GB
partition. Reassign the mount point correctly (no mount for the boot loader,
/ for the 3 GB partition) and jumpforward to continue setup. That time, it
should succeed (well, my iBook now works...).

Regards,

Jean-Philippe.