Convince me that Yellowdog is the Linux for me!

Bill Fink yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Apr 11 20:33:01 2002

On Thu Apr 11 2002, Aaron wrote:

> How can I tell if I'm getting hardware rendering or not?  I also have
> problems with X-windows (I can only do 1024X768 display) and this may be
> related.  I have a VERY standard video card (ATI Rage 128 16 MB) which
> Xconfigurator claims to identify.  This could explain why my KDE experience
> is so slow.

Hi Aaron,

xdpyinfo should list XVideo as one of the loaded extensions.

xvinfo should report something like the following:

X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
  Adaptor #0: "ATI Rage128 Video Overlay"
    number of ports: 1
    port base: 59
    operations supported: PutImage
    supported visuals:
      depth 24, visualID 0x23
      depth 24, visualID 0x24
      depth 24, visualID 0x25
      depth 24, visualID 0x26

That's for 2D acceleration.  For 3D acceleration, check what glxinfo
reports, which should be similar to the following:

name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
server glx extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context
client glx vendor string: SGI
client glx version string: 1.2
client glx extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context
GLX extensions:
    GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context
OpenGL vendor string: VA Linux Systems, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Rage128 20010405 Pro AGP 4x
OpenGL version string: 1.2 Mesa 3.4.2
OpenGL extensions:
    GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_EXT_abgr,
    GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint, GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_EXT_histogram,
    GL_EXT_packed_pixels, GL_EXT_polygon_offset, GL_EXT_rescale_normal,
    GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_EXT_texture_env_add,
    GL_EXT_texture_object, GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_EXT_vertex_array,
    GL_MESA_window_pos, GL_MESA_resize_buffers, GL_NV_texgen_reflection,
    GL_PGI_misc_hints, GL_SGIS_pixel_texture, GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp
glu version: 1.3
glu extensions:
    GLU_EXT_nurbs_tessellator, GLU_EXT_object_space_tess

For even more info, check the /var/log/XFree86.0.log file.

						-Bill