KDE 3.0 was Re: YDL 2.2 and Gnome - congrats

John yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Apr 12 15:42:01 2002

> If you want to use Ximian's Gnome on 2.2 you can always just download
> and install them your self.  they work for me just fine.  I don't know
> if this would cause problems in other areas but if you want to use
> red-carpet to do the install for you it is possible to make it use the
> YDL 2.1 channel by installing the 2.1 yellowdog-release rpm.  Red-carpet
> would identify you machine as a 2.1 system.  Like I said before I don't
> know how healthy this change would be. Once your done with the install

In case anyone else is reading this and going to attempt it I would suggest
they don't bother.  The easiest way to fool Red-Carpet is edit
/etc/yellowdog-release.  That worked great in YDL 2.1 when trying to use Red
Carpet before the channels were available.  It doesn't work nearly as well
in YDL 2.2 though.  The carpet doesn't detect deps properly.  So to save
people the time, if you want to use certain Carpet channels, just wait till
they are available.  Don't trick it.  :-)
John