Burning to USB CD-RW (was: md5sum)

Eric D. yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Apr 14 10:09:01 2002

You wrote "the download may take hours or even days". <chuckle> For some
bizarre (but happy) reason the rome 2.2 ISO downloaded in _less_ time (~15
minutes) than it's going to take me to burn the ISO (on my 2x USB Lacie).
Netfinder for OS X did the trick (never used it before) -- I saw
800KB-1MB/sec (seriously!!!) through a 10 BaseT hub (I've _never_ seen
download rates that high off the web (600 KB/sec previously) (I can get over
1 MB/sec off the AppleShare server but that's Novell 3.1 & local)... perhaps
the ISO got cached in our network somehow or we had a direct link to the
server (it's only 800 km away)).

Speaking of burning stuff: is there software in YDL 2.2 (or 2.1) that allows
you to burn to a USB CD-RW (the _first_ of the USB CD-RWs (Yamaha mechanism)
to hit Canada, Lacie 2/2/4 (which gets incorrectly identified as a 2/2/6 by
Toast and by OS X))? Actually, is there software in YDL that you can burn an
ISO to disk? (not that it really matters b/c I don't have _room_ on the YDL
partition for an ISO... which reminds me, I'm going to have to get some help
here in setting up YDL on a 4 GB SCSI (as a 2ndary drive beside the 12 GB
IDE in my B&W) pretty soon).

Eric.

on 13/4/02 11:04, Gordon Neault at gordo-x@shaw.ca wrote:

> Read this: