newbie needing big help

Romeyn Prescott yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Apr 14 22:27:01 2002

>Much appreciation!  Any suggestions on where in the Linux system would
>be good to start trying to tweak for my system...I know the kernel is
>off limits to me right now, but I would like to use one of the benh
>kernels, it seems as though many PPC people prefer his.  Any
>suggestions, I want my G4 to fly, so I can use Linux solely.

Jonathan,

There is TONS of Good Stuff at linuxdoc.org.  Plan on spending a LOT
of time there, as well as poring over man pages.

I'll share with you this quote I found at the beginning of one of the
larger "manuals" at linuxdoc.  I liked it so much it's on the wall
right above my desk:

"Any system reference will require you to read it at least three
times before you get a reasonable picture of what to do.  If you need
to read it more than three times, then there is probably some other
information that you really should be reading first.  If you are only
reading a document once, then you are being too impatient with
yourself.

It is very important to identify the exact terms that you fail to
understand in a document.  Always try to back-trace to the precise
word before you continue.

It is usually cheaper and faster to read a document three times than
to pay someone to train you.  Don't be lazy.

Don't learn new things according to deadlines.  Your knowledge is
going to evolve by grace and fascination, not by pressure."

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'll pitch in with anything I can
to help.  We were all where you are once, though some people tend to
forget that (as anyone who has ever been brave enough to actually
post to the qmail list has discovered; those guys eat newbies for
breakfast!).

...ROMeyn
--

signat-url: http://www2.potsdam.edu/dctm/prescor/signat-url.htm