Setting up PCMCIA modem

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Apr 15 10:10:01 2002

Hello,

I've just finished installing YDL 2.2 on my PB 3400.  Looks good so far.
I did a "development" install (just in case I ever get around to building
my own stuff).

Now, can anyone help me (step-by-step) set up my PCMCIA modem so that
I can use it to dial my ISP and connect to the largest computer network?
I made sure anything that said PCMCIA was selected during the install.

In the KDE Control Center hardware profile, under PCMCIA it says "No PCMCIA
controller found".  But, on my PCI bus, it happens to find two ports that are
my PCMCIA ports (I'll check later to see if it mis-recognizes as CardBus ports).

In the LDP PCMCIA-HowTo, it says for PowerBooks that I need to change the
memory address in one file.  I don't know if that's up-to-date or not.

I know I need to get a PCMCIA controller recognized.  I know I need to
point /dev/modem to this device (perhaps a chain of sybolic links to
/dev/ttyS0?).  I know I need to set up my PPP software.

How do I do all of this?  Okay, there's a HowTo, I think, on the YDL homepage
for setting up KPPP or some such.  But, how do I do everything else?

I really appreciate any help.

Cheers,
Aaron