Install YDL 2.2 on PowerMac7500/G3 with Acard IDE PCI card

John Eckman yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Apr 17 08:26:00 2002

I'm having trouble installing 2.2 on my upgraded 7500.

It has a G3 processor, via a Carrier-ZIF card and an original Apple G3
duaghtercard pulled from a Beige G3.

Drives:

1 apple-branded SCSI drive, internal, id 0, with os 9.

1 external scsi drive (on the 7500s built in external SCSI bus), 4.5 gigs,
empty, waiting for YDL 2.2

I have installed an Acard ATA/66 PCI card, to which I've attached:

a 20 Gig IDE Maxtor Drive, with OS X on it

and

an IDE CD-Rom drive, also pulled from a beige G3.

I've tried the text installer and the gui installer, using vmlinux and
vmlinux-2.2, and experimented with "Force-SCSI-On" option in BootX to no
avail.

In general, I get a kernal panic with no init found, and I am told to
consider adding init= options.

Once I actually got the text based install to run, but then it crapped out
at the point of "select install media" - no CD-Rom drive found.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.