Install on G4867 notes (long)

Gordon Neault yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Apr 18 09:08:01 2002

I have sucessfully installed the YDL 2.2 Rome distro on my Quicksilver.
Some notes:
The installer is quirky with this machine. The only option that reliably
worked is:
install-text22
This was a clean install, with free space created in OS9.
I had to revert to a bootloader-root-swap partition scheme in that order.
Installing with other defined partitions more or less failed, although you
might be able to get it to work later. The problem is that packages &
files end up in the / partition anyway (for example /usr files don't go to
the defined virtual partition).
Defining partitions on this shared drive with MacOS HFS+ early in the map
were quirky, but could be done if I used the YDL 2.1 installer to define
the partitions and then restarted with the 2.2 CD. I ended up simply
creating free space in numbered partitions with MacOS so that the map
would be consecutive. My practise in the past had been to define MacOS
first and leave free space at the end for YDL.
For example:
Format 3 partitions in OS9
Free Space
OS9 HFS+
OS9 HFS (not for bootloader)
I would end up with the Mac partitions defined as hda10 & hda11 while YDL
made hda9, hda 12 and hda13.
Instead I defined 5 partitions in OS9 with the first 3 as free space
(unallocated). This retained the consecutive naming of YDL partitons,
which I prefer to avoid confusion later, as in:
hda9 bootloader
hda10 /
hda11 swap
hda12 HFS+
hda13 HFS
There were a lot of hiccups, but trying again usually worked. If for some
reason the YDL 22 installer balked at format or (more often) mountpoint I
would reboot to confirm they were correct and if not I would reboot into
OS9 and recreate the partitions. Attempts to fix a bad partition scheme or
mount point in the YDL installer invariably failed if there was some
problem the first time.
With a 2GB / 2GB /usr and 2GB /home installed, but files didn't go in the
right place, so I changed to a 4GB / partition alone and never had a real
problem with package install (Developer/Recommended or Home/Office). There
were too consistent errors during package installation the notes for which
I have lost, but basically they said something like:
/var/temp does not exist; in any case the install proceeded and reboot was
fine.

The problem:
I can run the machine with nearly any video setting I want (screen size,
refresh rate) and the command prompt is a fine white on black text with a
correct penguin. Starting the X server is the problem; colors are reversed
(ie white is black, black is dark blue, most everything else is a muddy
shade of brown). Checking the color picker reveals most primary colors are
there but 80% of them are some form of yellow/brown/orange. Many screens
and particularly icons are unreadable. I have managed to find a neutral
green desktop background color and more-or-less grey on black windows by
playing with KDE themes and colors, so it is useable sometimes. I have
tried most any video setting I can think of and this behavior is
consistent.

Aside from that, it was essentially effortless. Without any configuration
aside from install prompts, launching Mozilla took me to YDL's page (with
black on white override in preferences, I can even read it, although all
graphics are illegible brown on brownish-yellow) and everthing else seems
to work (haven't tried much though). Haven't tried mail yet. Of course
sound doesn't work (known problem) but I could care less, I wish the damn
things would shut up anyway.