OT: Why must Linux distros install the kitchen sink?

Pete Peters yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Apr 18 15:48:01 2002

Okay, good point. However, this reminds me of the "good old days" in which
everyone acquired (legally or not) all the software they could. It didn't
matter if you needed it or used it, it was "look at the applications I
have!"

How many word processors, text editors, etc, etc, does a person need? Fine,
include them w/ the distro, but do you have to install everything???  Seems
this just confuses the novice. Even you, Tim, whom I recognize as quite
experienced, state you  are still in the process of weeding out unnecessary
RPMs. This practice is common w/ Windoze; it should *NOT* be common for
Linux.

I'm a firm believer in running mean and lean. Probably comes from my 286/2MB
ram/30MB hard drive days. I sometimes had to remove an application before I
could install a new one for a college class. Heck, I could get MSDOS 6.2 &
Win3.x in under 3MB! Or how about Win95, Quicken, Office 95 and IE on 128MB?
I try never to do standard installs. Okay, enough of that.

With the increasing number of people trying to install on 2GB drives or
smaller, seems we should rethink what gets installed.

Just my two-cents....

Pete