Xconfigurator error messages and configuration failure

David Johnston yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Apr 22 04:47:00 2002

Hi,

I have a std G4 / Rage 128  machine coupled to a Mitsubishi diamomd pro 87TXM.

When in KDE I have about a 1 inch blank, black area all around the
KDE desktop (varies slightly with selected resolution)

Whenever I run Xconfigurator, it recognises the card, and my monitor
is on the list to select from, but when exiting Xconfigurator, I get
the following error message reported to the console

"Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkcontainer.c: line 715 (gtk_container_add):
assertion `w
idget->parent == NULL' failed.
INSTALL_OK"

and on restarting Xserver the blank border remains. When I check the
XF86Config file in /etc/X11/, it reports my monitor as

Identifier	"Generic Monitor"

rather than that which I specified (I am working as root).

I have tried using xvidtune to resize the display, but although I can
expand the window to attain full screen height, I can't get it
anywhere near full width, the expanding screen just disappears behind
the lateral black borders.

A borrowed apple 17' monitor seems to work fine.

Any ideas gratefully received

Thanks in advance

David Johnston,
Natural History Museum, London.