Segmentation Fault while transferring Packages = bad CD?

John Eckman yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Apr 22 13:47:01 2002

I have a YDL 2.2 CD purchased retail (Microcenter in Cambridge, MA).

I have successfully installed from this CD to my PowerMac 7500/G3.

However, I can only use the "base install" set of packages - if I try to
use anything more (started with "everything," but "developer workstation"
and "home/office" also fail) the installer crashes - segmentation fault,
then it goes into halt mode, installer aborted abnormally, etc. Only option
is to reboot the machine.

Two questions:

1. Could these segmentation faults be caused by a bad CD? I could download
and burn the .iso to see if a new CD works.

2. Is there a way to go from base-install to developer workstation from the
command line? Can one mount the CD and install rpms directly from there? (I
was able to mount the CD-Rom from linux, but then ran into errors trying to
run YUP and installing XFree86. Seems like YUP couldn't read the installed
packages database or something.)

Thanks in advance

John

John Eckman                     "It'd be a hell of a lot cheaper
www.liquidsquid.com             to just suck on a penny"