YDL 2.2 `base' v. `home-office' install

Eric D. yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Apr 24 07:59:01 2002

on 24/4/02 00:26, Michael J Flaherty at mikeflaherty@mn.rr.com wrote:

> On Tuesday 23 April 2002 09:21, you wrote:
>
>> Setup:
>> 1270 MB for Linux
>> 256 MB for swap
>> 10 MB for boot
>
> 2.2 seems to require more space.  500 MB more in / would get the
> home-workstation install done, in all likelihood.  There's also the custom
> installation route.
>
> With as much RAM and as little HD space as you have, I'd shrink swap to the
> minimum.

Now, silly question but what is _minimum_? Can I safely drop it to 16 MB or
is that inviting its own set of problems with 576 MB RAM? I've seen 64 MB
reported to me off-list (thank you to that kind soul).

I'm swamped with "real" work (i.e. the stuff I'm getting paid to do & what
will eventually lead to my degree ;) so I can't fool around with Linux at
the moment :( but if this doesn't work I might try a fool-hardy "customized"
install of home-office and not install all the bells and whistles (though, I
imagine it'll take a year or two to go through all the prompts).

Perhaps I should bite the bullet and do a grand reformat of my HD and give
Linux a 2 MB partition, up the OS X partition (since I seem to be using OS X
95%+ of the time) and leave the OS 9 partition at 2 or 3 MB itself. (or,
maybe I should figure out how to install my old 4 GB SCSI ;)

Eric.