a downloaded program will not function, and bash states that it does not exist!

Ken Schweigert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Apr 24 09:38:01 2002

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 05:17:51PM -0400, david wright wrote:
> Greetings, yellow doggers, i have a question/problem,... any ideas?
> I am wondering why this perl program i downloaded does not work and in fact
> states that it does not exist! even when run as root. I am running perl 5.6,
> perl is at /usr/bin/perl and that is what is requested at txt2pdf.pl she bang
> line. This is appears to be a cool program, if i could get it to work,... it
> changes a text file into a pdf, apperently i downloaded it from the authors
> site: http://www.sanface.com
>
> [davidwri@RR davidwri]$ cd /usr/local/txt2pdf-5.6

I saw a similar problem with a program that did just the opposite
of this one (pdf to html converter).  The problem was that the
script set a variable to a executable that wasn't in the location
where it thought it would be, hence the "no such file" error.  It
wasn't that it couldn't find perl, but rather couldn't find the
file from within the script.

I'd open the perl script in an editor and look for any "defined"
executables and check to see if they are where they should be.

HTH

--
-Ken Schweigert, Aspiring Network Administrator
Byte Productions, LLC