YDL 2.2 `base' v. `home-office' install

Eric D. yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Apr 24 12:46:01 2002

on 24/4/02 10:56, Simon White at simon@mtds.com wrote:

> Since you can share hfs partitions with Linux for data, and between OS9
> and OS10 too, you could easily leave just enough for the system + a few
> extras for the OS9 partition, give plenty to Linux for the system you want
> to install (2.5G?) and have a "data" partition which is largest, used by
> all OSes for your data.

The problem with HFS is that it's a waste of disk space on anything over 0.5
GB for small files (& apps now come with millions of small files... my 7 GB
HFS+ partition has over 18,000 files on it... it'd probably be full rather
than 1 GB free if it were HFS). I've been using HFS+ since I installed OS
8.1 on my Quadra 700 (what, HFS+ not supported on 68040s... since _when_?)
back in '98 (& it really made a difference on my 4 gigger).

Linux is an experiment (since I already have a *nix in the form of OS X that
does 'most everything I want (& what it doesn't OS 9 or Virtual PC do)) so I
can't really afford to devote a whole lot of space to Linux. ... now if
there were a simple, bug-free means for Linux to access HFS+ I'd have a
"general purpose" partition for all three OSes ;)