Accellerated X with GeForce2 card

Timothy A. Seufert yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Apr 24 17:26:01 2002

At 9:41 AM -0500 4/24/02, Robert Brandtjen wrote:
>On Wednesday 24 April 2002 09:34 am, Alessandro Cucchiarelli wrote:
>>  On my QuickSilver 733 G4 (w/ nVidia GeForce 2 MX standard card & ADC
>>  15" Apple Studio Display) I tried the YDL 2.2, kernel 2.4.18-0.9a,
>>  installed from the distribution CD, so having a non-accellerated X
>>  environment (the auto-generated XFConfig-4 contains 'Driver "fbdev"'
>>  command, even if I checked the 'use accellerated video' option during
>>  YDL 2.2 install procedure).
>
>has anyone on this list troed downloading the source RPMS from Nvidia and
>using them on a YDL box? just curious, they are very nice drivers nowadays.

Won't work.  Nvidia's GLX module and XFree86 4.x 2D driver are
provided as x86 binaries only.  If you download the "source RPM" you
don't really get source.

The only piece Nvidia supplies source for is their kernel module,
which just serves as glue between the kernel and their binary-only
drivers.  If you want to run XF86 on non-Intel platforms you have to
live with the open source "nv" driver in XF4, which does not do 3D.
--
Tim Seufert