USB printer driver assignment -- solved!!

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Apr 25 10:55:01 2002

I had posted several days ago with a question as to how
to get the USB printer driver assigned to a printer if
it's plugged in when Linux (YDL 2.2) boots.  The printer
was recognized by the USB driver but the printer driver
module was not loaded yet, so the assignment failed.

A Linux-proficient colleague of mine pointed me to the
Linux hotplugging web site (http://linux-
hotplug.sourceforge.net) and I was able to piece
together the solution.  There is a /etc/hotplug/usb.rc
script that normally gets invoked from
the /etc/rc.d/init.d/hotplug script (which is missing on
my YDL 2.2 installation for some reason).  Anyway, by
creating a "start" link to the usb.rc script
in /etc/rc3.d (or /etc/rc5.d if you boot directly into
X), e.g. S98usbrc, a hotplug of the printer is faked and
the USB printer driver assignment is performed.

I know how difficult it was for me to find this
information, so I hope it helps someone else.