Suitability of Beige Desktop G3 for YDL

David McInnis yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Apr 25 16:29:02 2002

I am running YDL 2.1 on a beige G3 and it works great.

David McInnis

-----Original Message-----
From: yellowdog-general-admin@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
[mailto:yellowdog-general-admin@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com] On Behalf
Of Zenzele Bell
Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2002 3:16 PM
To: yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Subject: Re: Suitability of Beige Desktop G3 for YDL

> Are there any 'gotchas' with this box?  What
> bootloader do I use?
> I'm only connected to the net at 256k (DSL) and it
> looks to me like
> my *current* limitations speed-wise is the 6116CD;
> if I upgraded to
> the G3 would the bottleneck shift to my net
> connection (that would be
> a *good* thing)?

i'm a newbie to Linux and YDL, but it was recommended
to me by a friend who has been running a couple of
web/email servers with YDL.  as far as i know, the
beige G3 can definitely be used as a server.

i have YDL on my beige G3/233.  i just upgraded (well,
wiped my hard drive and did a fresh install) from 2.1
to 2.1, using bootx.  the only problem i ran into
(which no one responded to - thanks guys!), was when i
ran the bootx installer - I got a strange message that
it could not find a file that it was searching for,
and did i want to run the installer again?  i ran it
again, got the same message, got frustrated and
ignored it, copied the ramdisk-x11.image.tgz into the
System folder, rebooted, and was able to proceed with
the installation.  works like a charm, so far.

i eventually plan to use this as a web server, but
i've become quite paranoid, after reading so much
about security issues, so i'm just trying to make sure
i cover all the bases before i put this thing online.
any suggestions would be very helpful.

hope this helps,
zen