Suitability of Beige Desktop G3 for YDL

Rob Brandt yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Apr 25 18:33:01 2002

All valid questions:

>Don't have an exact answer, but let's think this one out. First of all,
>judging by many posts from people w/ Beige G3's, my guess is that it works
>just fine. Now as to whether it will work "better" than Red Hairball on a
>PC, it depends on your requirements.

And I guess I could have searched the archives for this, but with 2.2
recently released most of  the archives *may not* be relevant.

>Is it just for your own edification and enlightenment, or do you plan on
>running an eCommerce or streaming media server? Plenty of sites run just
>fine on a 7100; others choke on a Pentium 3.

Mostly for my own edification, but hey, if it screams I'll stick with
it for 'real' projects.  I'll be using it mostly for php & mysql.

>How about cost? What're the damages on this thrift shop Beige G3 compared to
>the PC you were thinking of?

Unknown as of yet.  I spotted it on their 'received' shelf and it's
not priced yet.  I don't even know which revision it is, or how much
RAM it's got.  But they price things well at this place, and it
probably won't last more than a day before someone picks it up.  One
of the benefits of living in a wealthy area where people would just
as soon give something away than hassle with selling it.

I plan on setting up a dedicated server soon at an ISP to get it some
bandwidth.  That's what I'd planned on the RedHat box for.  If this
thing surprises me with blazing speed, I'll stick with it for a
while.  But really, the crucial question (once the 'no gotchas'
question is answered) is whether it will be substantially faster than
my 6116CD (both constrained by slow DSL), and if I'll have to invest
in a ton of RAM to make it so.  So I'm back to "how fast is it, with
how much RAM".  Then I'll know whether I should snap it up the moment
I know the price.