Sound on YDL v2.2 - dead loss?

Iain Stevenson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Apr 26 04:54:01 2002

--On Friday, April 26, 2002 12:15 pm +0200 Graham Leggett
<minfrin@sharp.fm> wrote:

> Standard in the YDL Gnome install is to install esd (the enlightened
> sound daemon), however esd does not work properly.

I have esd working although this required a rebuild of the latest esd and
some applications (so that they used it).  I don't use Gnome so it's
possible that it is introducing the problems you are having.  For me, esd +
xmms +WindowMaker is fine (but I have no sound card in my 9600).

> Does anyone know what the pmac sound driver is supposed to be compatible
> with (OSS? ALSA?)?

There seems to be some folklore surrounding sound - which I guess we'd all
like clarified.  AFAIK the standard pmac driver is not full duplex and may
not support sound input.  Alsa drivers are available for the Mac and may be
the solution for GnomeMeeting.

  Iain