Completely OT -- DOS and "dir"

Simon White yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Apr 29 03:48:01 2002

28-Apr-02 at 14:59, Eric D. (liriodendron@mac.com) wrote :
> Hi ya'll, I was so excited when I discovered something about the DOS "dir"
> command that I just felt compelled to share it.
>
> You can _sort_ the display of files by whatever criteria you specify (I used
> to have a Norton utility to do that but have long since lost it). I've been
> using the piece of !@#$!@# OS for 15 years now and only just discovered the
> command:
> dir /o:e (now mapped to ls.bat as dir /o:e %1 %2 :)

Are you talking about DOS, which has never run on a Mac?

Hmmm... no comment here. I prefer ls to dir anyway. ls --sort=size, ls
-lrt, etc etc are my favourites.

You also replied to a previous post, without starting a new thread. OK,
you changed the subject line, but in my mail software I can sort (and do
sort) by thread, and replying to a thread with a new question screws up my
nice display of all relevant posts grouped together. Others have done it
too. Can I ask you all not to?

--
[Simon White. vim/mutt. simon@mtds.com. GIMPS:94.73% see www.mersenne.org]
Microsoft isn't the answer.